Human Resources Support Specialist – Youth Summer Jobs Program
WorkLink Employment Society
|$20.20 per hour
|Summer Employment Opportunities
|February 7, 2024
|March 31, 2024
Are you a youth aged 18 – 30 who is ready to kick off your summer with hands-on experience and practical knowledge that matches your passion? If so, WorkLink Employment Society is pleased to announce the following 2024 Summer Employment Opportunities in conjunction with funding through the Government of Canada, Youth Summer Jobs Program:
Human Resources Support Specialist
- 35 hours/week | Monday – Friday | 9:00 am – 4:30 pm
- 16 weeks
- Westshore Location
- $20.20 per hour
About The Society:
WorkLink has provided government-sponsored employment services to the residents of the Victoria Capital Region’s Westshore (Colwood, Langford, Highlands, View Royal, and Metchosin) since 1978. In 2008, our services expanded to include the communities of Sooke and surrounding areas including Jordan River and Port Renfrew. We are also pleased to provide Indigenous outreach services to the First Nations Communities of Beecher Bay, T’Souke, and Pacheedaht. Our non-profit organization is funded through both federal and provincial government initiatives. WorkLink is a registered charity in the Province of BC, which is governed by a volunteer Board of Directors chosen from leaders in the community.
About the Position:
The Human Resources Support Specialist will play a crucial role in delivering and developing Human Resource Products and Services to WorkLink employees and clients in the Social Enterprise Group. This support will provide opportunities for the Human Resource Support Specialist to work side by side and be mentored by Human Resource Professionals.
Key Duties for this position include:
- Conducts various Human Resources functions, involving onboarding and orientation, performance management, policies and procedures.
- Assists in correspondence and other HR documentation; transcribes material from rough copy, and may be required to perform basic editing and proofreading as requested.
- Assists in the creation of Workplace Culture Assessments and Investigations
- Provides support in developing training programs related to Human Resources and Leadership
- Participation in Hiring Programs and supporting HR on demand services with clients; and
- Provides clients with appropriate resources for employers.
- Compiles/prepares materials for training programs, employee orientation, interviews, and meetings as required.
- Ensures compliance with relevant privacy legislation and WorkSafe BC Health and Safety requirements.
- The Specialist will also actively participate in building a safe and healthy workplace founded in principles of Workplace Wellness, Psychological Safety in the Workplace and Bullying and Harassment prevention.
- Special projects around Health and Safety, training / development, and streamlining orientation initiatives.
Knowledge, skills, and abilities:
- Ability to prioritize tasks, manage tight deadlines and thrive in a fast-paced environment;
- Working cooperatively/effectively with others to share best practices that enhance organizational effectiveness;
- Excellent communication, initiative, attention to detail, and problem-solving skills;
- MS Office skills and knowledge of spreadsheets
- Proven ability to prioritize, problem solve, exercise initiative, and work independently and as a team member; and
- Strong active listening skills, with the ability to uphold and maintain confidentiality.
- Currently pursuing a career in Human Resources studies and/or a related field.
- Ability to establish and maintain positive working relationships with others both internally and externally.
- Exemplary communication skills; research skills; demonstrated writing skills and technology skills; and Strong active listening skills with the ability to uphold and maintain confidentiality.
- Able to demonstrate initiative and self-motivation.
- All applicants must be between the ages of 15-30 at the beginning of employment.
- Have a valid Social Insurance Number & be legally entitled to work in Canada (be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident).
- The successful candidate must have an outgoing personality and be able to communicate politely and professionally both verbally and in writing.
We appreciate all applications, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
WorkLink values the diversity of the people it hires and serves. We foster a workplace where individual differences are recognized and respected, while utilizing each person’s talents and strengths. The more inclusive we are, the better our work will be!
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resumé on our online application as a PDF attachment. This posting will remain in effect until the closing date, 4:00 pm on Mar 31, 2024