Visitor Centre Ambassador – Youth Summer Jobs Program
WorkLink Employment Society
|$20.20 per hour
|Summer Employment Opportunities
|February 7, 2024
|March 31, 2024
Are you a youth aged 18 – 30 who is ready to kick off your summer with hands-on experience and practical knowledge that matches your passion? If so, WorkLink Employment Society is pleased to announce the following 2024 Summer Employment Opportunities in conjunction with funding through the Government of Canada, Youth Summer Jobs Program:
Visitor Centre Ambassador
- 2 Positions in Port Renfrew (Accommodation or mileage to and from provided)
- 35 hours/week | 10:30am – 6:00pm | Thursday - Monday
- 16 weeks
- $20.20 per hour
About the Society:
WorkLink has provided government-sponsored employment services to the residents of the Victoria Capital Region’s Westshore (Colwood, Langford, Highlands, View Royal, and Metchosin) since 1978. In 2008, our services expanded to include the communities of Sooke and surrounding areas including Jordan River and Port Renfrew. We are also pleased to provide Indigenous outreach services to the First Nations Communities of Beecher Bay, T’Souke, and Pacheedaht. Our non-profit organization is funded through both federal and provincial government initiatives. WorkLink is a registered charity in the Province of BC, which is governed by a volunteer Board of Directors chosen from leaders in the community.
About The Position:
The Visitor Centre Ambassador will join a high-performing team focused on marketing; internal communications; social media engagement; and community engagement activities that promote Port Renfrew and surrounding communities. The Port Renfrew Economic Development Task Force will lead and support the Ambassadors as they live, work, and play in the beautiful surroundings and natural wonders of the area.
As part of the first ever tourism information center for region, the Ambassadors will:
- Act as a resource for local tourism operators.
- Answer visitor questions through all channels of communication.
- Distribute promotional materials and promote tourism products.
- Gather information and develop new resources.
- Maintain count of visitors served, preparing statistical reports.
- Perform administrative tasks such as inventory and ordering of supplies; and
- Provide information specific to the region’s key tourism and business services/locations.
Knowledge, skills, and abilities:
- Ability to prioritize tasks, manage tight deadlines and thrive in a fast-paced environment;
- Excellent communication, initiative, attention to detail, and problem-solving skills;
- Ability to work independently and in a dynamic team environment
- Strong active listening skills to respond appropriately and interact with visitors.
- Currently pursuing a career in tourism, adventure travel, food & beverage and/or a related field.
- Demonstrated ability to work cooperatively and effectively with others to share best practices that enhance organizational effectiveness.
- Previous experience in Hospitality, Tourism, Event Management, Customer Service Sector, or a
- related field is a definite asset.
- Able to commit to a flexible schedule
- Able to demonstrate initiative and self-motivation.
- All applicants must be between the ages of 15-30 at the beginning of employment.
- Have a valid Social Insurance Number & be legally entitled to work in Canada (be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident).
- The successful candidate must have an outgoing personality and be able to communicate politely and professionally both verbally and in writing.
We appreciate all applications, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
WorkLink values the diversity of the people it hires and serves. We foster a workplace where individual differences are recognized and respected, while utilizing each person’s talents and strengths. The more inclusive we are, the better our work will be!
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resumé on our online application as a PDF attachment. This posting will remain in effect until the closing date, 4:00 pm on Mar 31, 2024